XorbZ is a graphical puzzle/strategy game played on a customizable, hexagonal
grid. If you have ever played Assimilation or Hexxagon, you will be familiar
with this game.
The game supports the following key features:
- Up to 8 players Any combination of local, network (TCP/IP), and AI
(computer) players is allowed.
- Programmable AI system AI algorithms are loaded from shared libraries
during startup. Any number of AI libraries can be loaded. Don't like the
way the computer plays? Simply write your own AI and compile it into a
- Flexible game rules Turn timer, eliminate-on-lockout, force move, etc.
- Customizable levels, graphics, and sounds You can design your own levels
by either modifying existing ones or starting from scratch.
- Import levels from Assimilation If you own Assimilation, you can import
the level data for playing with XorbZ.
- It's open source! Modify the game to your tastes or help out with the
This web site is currently under construction, but you can see some
shots or download the source code by refering to the project page on Sourceforge:
This game is being developed with the help of the following:
- KDevelop (www.kdevelop.org)
An IDE for writing code in many languages.
- The QT libraries (www.trolltech.com)
A large set of cross-platform libraries for building GUIs, etc.
- The Simple Directmedia Layer (SDL) libraries (www.libsdl.org)
As the name states, a cross-platform set of media libraries.
- The Gimp (www.gimp.org)
Probably the de-facto standard for open-source image editing.
Other useful links:
- Hexagonal grid paper (
Marti Michell, an entrepreneur in the quilting industry, has designed some hexagonal grid
paper that can be used to help design levels. Page 4 is particularly useful. (Linked material
Copyright (C) by Marti Michell. Link used by permission)
More information coming soon!
Copyright 2005 by
Sean P. Mahnken .
All rights reserved.
This page was last modified on Wednesday, March 16, 2005
This site is hosted by sourceforge.net